Supernatural is my fave. It’s my go to. I have the third episode of the first season playing on my television as I write this. It’s the one where there’s something mysterious in a lake drowning a whole family of people …
But, Sarah, what is it about Supernatural that you love so much?
I don’t know. I want to say the humour, but that didn’t really kick in full force until about season three or four. I’m not a fan of the horror genre (which is definitely the vibe the writers were striving for in the first couple of seasons). I don’t think there’s an actual equivocal reason; I just love it.
It’s the fact that Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins are manufactured from fine wine, isn’t it? Don’t lie.
Excuse me? Who do you think I am? I mean, it helps … but that’s not the reason, no.
What’s your favourite episode?
That’s like asking me whether one particle of air is better than the one next to it. But … I have an intense love of the ridiculous, so there are a few episodes that stand out from others:
- ‘Bad Day at Black Rock’ (Season 3, Episode 3) – Sam and Dean encounter a lucky rabbit’s foot. If you touch it, and it remains in your possession, you are all sorts of fortunate. If you lose it, you have so much bad luck, you die.
- ‘Mystery Spot’ (Season 3, Episode 11) – Sam relives an endless amount of Tuesdays on which Dean dies every single day in every way possible eg. falling pianos, slipping in the shower, and eating bad tacos.
- ‘Wishful Thinking’ (Season 4, Episode 8) – There’s something fishy going on when everyone in a small Washington town has their every wish coming true. There’s talking teddies, superhuman kids, the whole shebang.
- ‘The Curious Case of Dean Winchester’ (Season 5, Episode 7) – Dean makes a series of questionable life choices, and ends up becoming an octogenarian for half an episode. What’s not to love?
- ‘Changing Channels’ (Season 5, Episode 8) – Parody central. The Winchesters find themselves in a series of TV shows and advertisements they can’t seem to find a way out of.
- ‘The French Mistake’ (Season 6, Episode 15) – Alternate reality. The brothers break the fourth wall and find themselves in ‘real life’ where Dean is Jensen and Sam is Jared. Riveting stuff.
- ‘LARP and the Real Girl’ (Season 8, Episode 11) – Charlie + Live Action Role Play + Fairies. Yup.
- ‘The Purge’ (Season 9, Episode 13) – Sam and Dean go undercover at a health retreat where people’s fat is being extracted by the bucket load (and sometimes to the point where they die). Gross, but still a fun one.
- ‘About a Boy’ (Season 10, Episode 12) – Sam and Dean find themselves in some twisted version of Hansel and Gretel (yes, even more twisted than the original), where Hansel turns him into a pubescent teenager. Awesome.
I have probably missed a few. There are so many to choose from.
Writing the synopses like that makes me cringe. It makes them sound so idiotic. But that’s the beauty of them. Trust me on this.
Who’s your favourite character?
Oh, God. No, no, no, no, not God … he’s not my favourite character … He’s cool, though.
Dean’s my favourite. I try not have them, though. They’re all great, and loveable, despite their flaws.
Somehow, Supernatural has this power to cheer me up. It’s full of unnecessary and heartbreaking death, and some pretty horrifying creatures, but somehow it cheers me up. There’s a meme that describes the feeling perfectly. I swear, I’m not nuts. It’s the humour, as I said before. It’s the comedy that the writer’s have paired with the horror, that makes me smile.
So, if you have never watched Supernatural, I hope this post has inspired you to give it a crack.
If you have watched Supernatural, you’re a wonder and I love you.
I will catch you guys on Saturday. Don’t forget to give my social media a follow!